Community Service Program
Community Service Program27 Apr 2015
- Community Service Program for interns organized by Prof. Dr. Mahassen Farghaly (Vice Dean, Faculty of Oral & Dental Medicine) with the collaboration of the Internship Administration Office.
- Four field trips during Fall 2011 were conducted to increase awareness among target groups and promote dental and general health.
- The educational program:
- Lectures including presentations, videos and demonstrations using models for the audience were carried out by interns and supervised by accompanying staff members.
- Dental examinations were performed to assess dental caries and dental status as well.
- Pharmacists participated in the trip to an old age nursing home and talked with the patients about drugs, drug interaction and gave them advice concerning drug administration
- Each of the participants received a card explaining his/her dental needs along with simple gifts including colorful toothbrushes and toothpaste, mouth wash, evanescence tablets and denture base boxes (for the elders).
- Lectures about proper hand hygiene, commensal flora, cross infection were given. Furthermore, lectures were held on how health care personnel should provide proper care to their patients during care giving and avoid microorganism transfer from one patient to another.
- Alcohol gels, tooth pastes, tooth brushes, natural juice and symbolic gifts were given to each participant
- Questionnaires were distributed among participants as well as administrative personnel in each place to assess the program and get feedback for further progress of the program and to achieve the best results.
- The trips inspired the interns involved in the program and they were anxious to be involved in other outreach programs.